EAT RIGHT: Eat a Balanced Diet
What does it mean to eat right?
Eating right means consuming a diverse range of foods from 5 of the major food groups in recommended amounts - Fruits, Vegetables, Grains, Protein Foods, and Dairy. This ensures that the body gets different nutrients hence promoting good overall health.
What is a balanced diet?
A balanced diet fulfils all the nutritional requirements of the body. It allows your body to get required nutrients without exceeding your daily recommended calorie intake. Balanced nutrients means consuming the right amounts of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals.
Consuming insufficient calories may cause your health to suffer, but excess calories may also bring negative consequences.
An adult needs a daily average of 2000 calories to maintain their weight - however it will defer depending on one’s age, sex and level of physical activity.
A healthy diet should incorporate nutrients such as:
- Protein (nuts, beans, yoghurt, eggs, meat, fish)
- Carbohydrates and fibre (oatmeal, bread, vegetables)
- Healthy Fats - Unsaturated (nut butters, avocado, coconut)
- Vitamins and minerals (superfoods, fruits and veggies)
Avoid foods with:
- High sodium
- Saturated fats
- Added refined sugar
Benefits of Eating a Balanced Diet
Increased Energy Levels:
- Eating right helps our energy remain consistent throughout the day.
Contributes to a Healthy Weight
- Consuming nutrient-packed foods means less cravings and less room for unnecessary calories.
Supports Heart Health
- It can be beneficial for the heart to consume a variety of fresh and unprocessed foods.
Improved Memory & Brain Health
- Our diet affects our cognitive abilities - the healthier the diet, the better the brain functions.
Stronger Bones & Teeth
- A healthy diet is essential for strong bones and reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
Maintains a Strong Immune System
- Essential nutrients produce and aid in maintaining germ-fighting cells in the immune system.
Important for bodily functions
- Provides essential nutrients that cant be produced by the body.
Helps curb diseases and infections
- More nutrients help protect the body against diseases like heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and cancer.
Healthy Recipes for a Balanced Diet
Ingredients: Vietnamese rice paper wrappers, peanut butter, carrots, cucumbers, Coconut Curry Nut Mix.
Benefits: 100% natural, low carb, high fibre, good source of protein, heart-healthy fats, minerals & vitamins, antioxidants.
Ingredients: Sweet potatoes, whole grain bread, creamy almond butter, leafy greens.
Benefits: 100% natural, high fibre, rich in protein, healthy unsaturated fats, vitamins and minerals.